Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Bypassing firewall

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 100 02:15:34 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Marcus J. Ranum, sie wrote:

The only context I can think of this making any sense is when you
have an inside agent program that makes an SSL connection to an
external host for the express purpose of providing access to systems
on the inside (sort of like dial-back).

You mean like if someone made a back orifice plug in or
something like that?

Hmmm.  Not sure.  Let me explain.  If I somehow get an internal box with
an agent installed which makes connections outbound on port 80 and only
does so in response to a magic email message that I send, then it is
highly likely a proxy will dump it if it's not HTTP.  Then again, if the
end is effectly an in.rshd, compiled with SSL, and *connects* to my rsh
process that listens on port 443 (again in response to a magic email),
then no magic proxy can determine if it's HTTP or anything else.

In the second case, the only way you *might* determine it's not HTTP is
through packet analysis - HTTP doesn't send lots of short packets in
both directions, in measurable levels of spurtiness.

The `solutions' are not pretty: disable any protocol using encryption
because the firewall cannot validate the message's integrity or force
everything to be decrypted and re-encrypted as required to allow the
message to be checked that it matches the right protocol.

No, it's worse. The 'solution' is to disable any protocol
that issues connections which are not immediately tied to
an authentication that isn't performed by a computer.

Is that sufficient ?  Users are pretty dumb, after all.

Darren