Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: r1ccard0 () hushmail com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:17:22 -0600 (PST)

Hi all,

I was think about Random number generators and GUIDs, and alike and was
wondering what the general opinion of the use of them.
Firstly, evey commerce site has the conundrum of preventing Web session
spoofing/Session Hijacking.
Typically, it is very insecure to allow the sessions to be incremented for
each customer visiting the site.
As shown early last year, numerous web sites came under attack, freely spitting
ot customer information.
There for what would be the best solution to preventing Session hijacking?

Secondly, I believe using a solid Random Number generator that creates Session
Id's would be a good bet.  However, I want to open the debate up for the
use of GUID, a Global Unique IDentifier.  Used in Unix/NT these numbers
are said to be guaranteed unique and random.  However, I have not seen any
cryptoanalysis or white papers explaining Microsoft's implementation of
their GUID generator or any other!

How secure is the MS GUID generator?  Any comments?

I look forward to your reply.
r1ccard0
0 tolerance Tech.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have
access to your open personal email messages.