Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cisco configuration question

From: Ben Nagy <bnagy () cpms com au>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:08:10 +1030

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Bitow [mailto:mbitow () harborbank net]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 February 2000 9:27 AM
To: 'firewall-wizards () nfr net'
Subject: Cisco configuration question

Hi,

  I am currently working out a small problem that I can't
seem to get past.
I'm trying to get our mail server, an Exchange box, out of
the DMZ, and
behind a Cisco 3640.  Right now, it looks like this:

[text diagram of what looks like an elephant and two giraffes in sexual
congress snipped]

If it looks like _that_ no wonder you have problems! ;)

 One interface the Exchange and one on the 3640 have public
addresses, the
rest of the network is private.  The problem I am having is
mail connections
were getting rejected .  I had the router doing NAT, allowing all
connections.  I figured I would tighten it up one I got it
working.  The DSL
is a bridge only, no routing.

Seems fair.

  Is there a way to have the mail server behind the router
when doing NAT?

Yep.

The
configuration I
tried was:

Looks like you got most of the basic stuff right. I can't be sure what the
exact problem is, but here are some comments:

interface FastEthernet0/0
 description connected LAN
 ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ip nat inside

interface FastEthernet2/0
 description connected to Internet
 ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
 ip nat outside

ip nat inside source list 1 interface FastEthernet2/0 overload
ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet2/0

This is probably going to cause you problems. When dealing with Ethernet
interfaces, best practice is actually to point at another IP address as your
default gateway. The problem is that with this config, the Cisco just drops
the packet on the wire and hopes that there is a box on that segment that
can do something smart with it. Sometimes this will work (the other box is
prepared to answer ARP requests for the remote destination), but don't rely
on it.

Try:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip address of your internet link>

ip route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1

This is redundant. Get rid of it. That network is directly connected, so
creating a static route is not required. Cisco routers actually look at
directly connected as more important than static, unless the static route is
more specific, so this entry will probably be ignored anyway.

access-list 1 permit 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

I normally use extended or named ACLs here, but yours should work. Named
ACLs make the config easier to read:

ip access-list extended NAT-these-hosts
permit 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

access-list 101 permit tcp any 1.2.3.0 0.0.0.255 established
access-list 101 permit tcp any host 10.1.1.2 eq smtp

This is not applied anywhere in the config snippet, so it's not doing
anything. Which is not a problem - best to do all basic debugging with ACLs
off anyway. You know that for an access list to work you need to apply it?
This is done like this:

interface fa2/0
ip access-group 101 in
(check _incoming_ packets against access-list 101)

Also, it's a good thing it's _not_ applied, because it won't do what you
(probably) want, for a couple of reasons.

Remember that once you NAT a packet, the response from the remote
destination is going to come back to the IP address you NAT'ed to. In your
case, 1.2.3.4 Access lists get checked BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

Try this one:
ip access-list extended incoming-filter
permit tcp any host 1.2.3.4 established
permit tcp any host 1.2.3.4 eq smtp
permit udp any eq 53 host <ip address of your DNS server>
permit udp any host <ip address of DNS server> eq 53

It's not the most secure. Some people like to firm up the DNS ACLs using
reflexive access-lists or more specific IP addresses for permitted DNS
responders. Exercise for the reader. ;)

  Ultimately, I would like to use one outside address, have
all the traffic
go through  the router, with the Exchange box behind the router.

Oh, and make sure that the Exchange box is listening on port 25 for incoming
connections. You never know.

 Any ideas on how I was mucking it up?

Strictly speaking, this is OT, so please contact me or any other responders
out of band for followup...

Thanks

Michael Bitow

Cheers!

--
Ben Nagy
Network Consultant, CPM&S Group of Companies