Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Why VPNs aren't magic silver bullet solutions

From: marty <marty () supine com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:20:27 +1100 (EST)

<snip a very imformative piece>

So on that basis, what are VPNs good for?

If i have sensitive data traversing data links i have no control over, why
not extrapolate what you pointed out and implement encryption at each
application level where it is required rather then everything traveling
between the two points... ?? Is there a performance difference ??

Where is the advantage in wholesale encryption between two points as
opposed to application selective encryption ??

Ok, so i can think of one already:  ;)

- Client/server applications which are closed source with no inbuilt
means of encrypting connections.

What are some others ?

later
marty

"I can't buy what I want because it's free. Can't be what they want
because I'm me." - Corduroy, Pearl Jam