Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Boobytraps

From: "Smith, John" <john.smith () minolta-qms com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:32:06 -0500

Hello Everyone,

        Seeing the responses to the original post reminds me of a question I
had a couple of years ago.  I wondered what would be the advantages and
disadvantages of installing a 'partial' rootkit on a system.  Basically
don't open any holes but use some of the cracker tools to your benefit.

        This does imply at least couple of things:

        1) You absolutely know what you're doing!
        2) You have examined the rootkit and know there aren't any nasty
surprises.

        The biggest disadvantages I came up with:

        1) From a corporate standpoint the box may become harder to support
in terms of the number of people that can support it.  Depends on the
organization.
        2) From a practical standpoint more code is being added to the
system, therefore adding more potential bugs and making the system more
complex instead of simpler.

        Given my level of knowledge compared to the level on the list I
probably am missing some major items.  But it's a learning process.  :)

        Have a good one.

John Smith
Sys Admin