Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN & Terminal Server was: VPN for *DSL/CableModem Users

From: "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:40:25 -0400

Well, this is one way to do things. Couple of things to watch out for(Yeah,
I know, not security, but techincal):

1) Certain versions of SecuRemote hate Citrix traffic. Make sure you are
using the latest version of both SecuRemote and FW-1. I believe it's 4.1,
SP2.

2) Most versions of SecuRemote, depending on how you use and authenticate
them, have lots of trouble with NAT devices, IE DSL/Cable. If you want this
to work over NAT, you need to be careful how you set this up. How do you
plan to authenticate? If you want to use something like SecurID, you'll have
issues with NAT unless you are using the latest rev and employ hybrid mode
ISKAMP. Otherwise, you are stuck with FWZ which can work over NAT, but only
if you play with it a bit, and make sure you aren't using Encapsulated FWZ.

As for the security items:
How do you plan to authenticate the user? For instance, let's say the home
box was trojaned. If the user is relying on static passwords or a private
key with a passphrase, you're still in trouble. I might recommend a strong
token in a situation like this. You still have the risk that the attacker
could be controlling the box while the user is authenticated, but at least
they couldn't start the VPN connection without the user there authing with
the token. If they can take over the box, they can access the Terminal
Server and access the resources the user has access to. Granted, this is
much better than the user have direct access to machines. Just be aware that
you still have a certain risk profile here to your data.

Do you have plans to run a firewall or some sort of IDS at the home users
site? SecuRemote does a have a FW component for the desktop, but I have not
had any experience with it.

Andrew J. Kalat,                | Voice: (678)443-6000
IT Infrastructure Manager       | Fax:   (678)443-6484
Internet Security Systems, Inc. | E-Mail: akalat () iss net
6600 Peachtree-Dunwoody Road    | http://www.iss.net/
300 Embassy Row, Suite 500      | PGP key available.
Atlanta, GA 30328               |

Note: All comments, thoughts, advice, opinions, or any other text contained
herein are those of myself, and not of my employer.