Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Slightly off-topic: Any good/bad experiences withHigh-Availability Linux clusters ?

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:37:56 -0400 (EDT)

server/workstation expert, april 2000 vol 11 # 4, while citing the IBM
port of linux to the s/390 enterprise servers states in part:

The Linux community also falls short in terms of high-availibility
solutions such as clustering, says Calybrook.  "One of the limitations of
Linux on the enterprise is its high-availibility requirements.  There are
[vendors] working on clustering solutions, but none of them are at the
level you think in terms of true clustering capability.  They can do
failovers and some form of load balancing, but for the most part, they're
not at the same level that UNIX clustering is," he says.  Some of the
functionality missing from current Linux clustering solutions includes
single system image, cluster file systems and journeled file systems.
Other clustering solutions such as the beowoulf project clusters <URL
cited> are aimed more at clustering for preformance and workload sharing
than for high-availability and fault tolerance.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne