Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:10:16 -0400 (EDT)

On 24 Mar 2000, Alexandre A. Rodioukov wrote:

I think the thing I'm looking for is static NAT. Unfortunately my
first attempts to make NAT working where  done on linux system (it
seems to me that level of support of NAT in linux is not that
great). What i wanted to do is for outsiders to be able to access some
machines/services inside the network via real-IPs (machines by
themselves are assigned fake addresses). Also it would be kinda great
if some outgoing connections from internal net would be seen as they
are from mapped to the originator address real IPs. (hope that makes
sense). Small diagram:

I'm sure this is doable with Linux with some masquerading for the
internal to external connections and Masquerading or redirection for the
external to internal ones.  You could also proxy the connections and/or
use a transport layer tunnel like plug-gw and udprelay.

The IP Chains HOWTO covers redirection and masquerading, IP aliasing on
the external interface would allow you to do this with multiple addresses.

As well as reading the IPChains HOWTO, you might want to look at:

http://linas.org/linux/load.html

It's also trivially doable with IPFilter running under one of the BSDs,
which tends to be my recommendation these days (I chose NetBSD/IPfilter
last time I had to do one of these, Free- or Open- would work equally
well.)

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280