Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP blocking on PIX .4.4.1

From: Bill Pennington <billp () rocketcash com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:49:08 -0700

I have the same issue. What I do is turn on ICMP when I need do
traceroutes or pings. Kinda inconvenient. I actually find I do not need
to perform a lot of traceroutes/pings when it requires a lot more effort
to do so :-)

phred () pacificwest com wrote:

Yesterday our site underwent a Smurf attack which we quickly stopped by blocking ICMP traffic through the firewall.
I have a need to perform tracerouts from inside to the outside through the PIX firewall (v 4.4.1.)  Is there a way to
allow ping and traceroute from inside to outside and still defend against smurf like attacks?