Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Disabling RPC on a Sun U-60 (fwd)

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:16:46 -0400

2000-04-11-20:46:03 Nicholas Tang:
Question: do they need to have _any_ name service?

You might want to take this question to focus-sun () securityfocus com,
since the Sun security gurus seem to be collecting there.

As of Solaris 2.6, I know from first-hand experience you didn't
need any nameservice at all. You could blow away nscd, edit
/etc/nsswitch.conf so it doesn't mention anything but files,
delete /etc/resolv.conf, put hosts you want to refer to by name in
/etc/hosts, and be done with it. I haven't played with Solaris 7 or
Solaris 8 yet, so I don't know whether anything has changed there.

-Bennett