Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Disabling RPC on a Sun U-60

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () spitzner net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:30:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Alan Morewood wrote:

Replace the user shell with bash or tcsh.  The login process with
the default Solaris shells interacts with RPC (although honestly
I do not know what this interaction involves).

Actually, I am confused by this statement.  I run almost all my
Solaris boxes with RPC disabled, and have never had an issue the
default Solaris shells.  I have had problems with CDE or OpenWin
when RPC is disabled, but I normally have that ripped out to :)

To the best of my knowledge and experience, RPC does not interact with
the default Solaris shell.  As for the issues discusses below,
TCP services often hang when there are DNS issues.

Our security admin has had repeated problems with disabling RPC on Sun
Ultra-60's running Solaris 2.6.  After disabling it, he says telnet and
some other tcp services start hanging.

Does anyone have any idea why?  The services are all running through inetd
and without TCP Wrappers (yet).  I don't recall ever seeing that before
but he says every U-60 he's used has done that.

Lance Spitzner
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/papers.html