Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cable/DSL (Was Re: Free NAT)

From: "Lee (Lockdown) Hughes" <lee () polestar co uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:28:50 +0100

layer 2 Bridging is real bad if there are no layer 2 mac address filters in
place. They should be either do full layer 3 routing to you dsl port by
subnetting the class C, or using bridging with mac address filtering.

so, on a dsl bridge network, the filter would look like this..

User    <-->    DHCP Server
User    <-->    External Gateway

all other broadcast and unicast blocked at dsl access point.

Again, if the DSL access device supports upper layer filtering at
the IP layer, then this can avoid the kind of problem all together.

telco's should'nt really be using layer 2 switching unless they are
combining it with a layer 3 routing first (MPLS springs to mind, or
tag switching). I think your going to see a lot more situations like this
where inexperinced telco's are using bridging cause it lot simpler to
understand. I guess this proves that IP network's arn't like you average
run of the mill telephone network (SS7 springs to mind!). You'll find that
most large telco's don't hire new staff to roll out solutions like this,
but either contract in compaines like cisco etc etc, or just load the
existing telephone architechs with extra duties (which is really really
bad!).
There all going through a very steep learning curve, which most long
established ISP engineers went through earily on.

It's also wise to use static routing from the core network to the stubs,
as this is a lot easier to use this if you know for a fact that the stubs
will never become subnetted or have other ip networks latched on the
end of them.

Cheers,
Lee
'If I owned the cables, things would be different!'
Hughes