Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hardware vs. Software firewall reliability

From: David Klann <dklann () berbee com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:53:43 -0500

Hi Bill,

I've been working with firewalls for a couple years now. Although I don't
consider myself an expert, I do have a bit of experience -- primarily with
the Cisco PIX. So my reply is biased in that direction. This is primarily
anecdotal...

I believe the hardware firewall does indeed incur a higher MTBF because of
the lack of complexity. The integrated/embedded OS are getting more robust,
the packet filtering is getting better, etc., etc. I prefer the hardware
solution because there's nothing other than the firewall to configure.

Specifically to answer your question about failover: the Cisco PIX includes
failover capability. Stateful connections are not preserved when the backup
assumes responsibility, but the next release of the OS claims to correct
this. Failover is attained using a serial cable between the two devices
(yes, it's limited to a single backup unit). The backup unit "pings" the
primary and assumes the active state when it gets no response. Stateful
connection preservation will be accomplished with a network connection
between the primary and the backup. The backup maintains the state of
connections by continually polling the primary via the network connection.

My $.02 and a perspective on a future feature ...

-David Klann