Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Firewall

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:01:23 -0400 (EDT)

I have a customer who's E-Mail department requested a seperate dedicated
SMTP
only FW.  I can think of no reason to deny this request, but also am
having difficulty finding reasons to allow it.  I put it to the list, is
there benefits or risk in allowing this type of configuration?

Benefits: if your FW is maxed out, and ONLY if, then you MIGHT get
better throughput.  No security benefits that I can think of: a hacker
might pick that FW instead of the existing one to crack first.  Risks:
one more firewall to keep properly configured.  The more doors, the
more chance of finding a broken lock.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B