Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: FW-1, HTTP access and strength of IIS security

From: "Thomas Crowe" <thomas.crowe () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:09:40 -0400

Scott;

It obvious that your serious about protecting your site and the information
contained therein.  Locking down the access to that box to only allow port
443 is a great FIRST step.  Be very aware however that IIS does have a known
buffer overflow that can be easily exploited, I know it works on port 80, I
do not know if it has been tried on port 443, the overflow is contained in a
.dll that handles .htr files, I believe.  As long as your not supporting
.htr files (I think they are used for changing SAM stored passwords through
IIS) you should be safe from that exploit.  I would like to throw out a few
other things to consider.  Are ALL boxes behind the firewall locked down in
the same manner, i.e. your dns server, your mail server, etc... if one of
these machines are comprimised then an intruder has free access to your nt
machine and your firewall will never see it.  Is your firewall fully locked
down? If on unix is it only running the minimum daemons or on NT are ALL hot
fixes applied and service pack up to date?  Also are all services shutdown,
except what is REALLY needed.  Is your firewall configured as a member
server in a domain or by itself, I wouldn't EVER put a firewall in the
domain, coomprimising one system in the domain opens up ALL machines in the
domain.  Just thought that I would add my $0.02 hope it helps.

Thomas Crowe
Production Network Systems Administrator
BellSouth Online