Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: free s/wan (really interoperability)

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:52:06 -0400

From: Joseph S D Yao [mailto:jsdy () cospo osis gov]
Subject: Re: free s/wan (really interoperability)

Ron DuFresne had asked:
Are there any VPN products that do not require the same
setup on both ends
to impliment?  (i.e. VPN products that are cross-compatible
with other products out there)

There is IPsec VPN server software out there that is sold without a
client - one is directed to several other companies that make IPsec
clients.  So it would seem that the answer, probably with
some caveats, is, "yes."

IPsec is rapidly gaining popularity. 3Com is about to release a NIC that
implements 3DES and IPsec in hardware -- it integrates with Win2000's IPsec
implementation which is supposed to be their new VPN solution (if this is
true I'll be overjoyed -- MS will be actually conforming to an existing
standard).  Cisco is doing IPsec, there are IPsec implementations (clients
at least) for FreeBSD, Linux, etc.  If they conform to the standard, they
should all be interoperable.  PGPNet also uses IPsec.  I think IPsec version
2 is in the works but it will be a while before apps are out that use it.

Sean