Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW: BlackIce Defender???

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () cse ogi edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 01:54:22 +0000

Rick Smith wrote:

Black Ice sounds like a PC firewall and intrusion detection bundle. I don't
see any surprising technology. The main thing seems to be pricing and
packaging -- it's designed for home/small office use.

It would be interesting to hear how it compares with Marcus' (free for
download) BackOfficer Friendly.

Black Ice marketing lit is fairly uninformative.  However, when I said so in
comp.security.misc:-) I got this very helpful post back from the Black Ice
CTO (
http://x36.deja.com/[S0=90708c11189f544]/getdoc.xp?AN=471128515&CONTEXT=940988836.161874077&hitnum=15
, a deja.com query of subject="BLACKICE IDS" and looing for posts from Robert
David Graham).  The particularly interesting technologies seem to include:

   * back-scanning the intruder
   * the usual claim of "we have more signatures than anyone else" (I wouldn't
     know :-)
   * allegedly smarter scanning algorithms that do packet reassembly to detect
     fragmented attacks
   * designed to detect attacks inside the corporate LAN

Disclaimer:  I have absolutely nothing to do with Black Ice. I have not tried
their product, I'm just passing along the relevant info.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org