Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Tunnelling

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:08:04 -0500

I have been struggling with an insidious tunnel/trojan for the last week. A
company called Conducent (also called TimeSink) packages various MS Windows
freeware programs with a  shell that pops up ads while the program is running.
This is not too bad but I found a recent wrinkle that provides some problems.
     When one of their packages is installed it also installs (without informing
the user) a start up program in the Windows Registry at
 HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run  of
TimeSink="C:\Progam Files\TimeSink\AdGateway \TSADBOT.EXE"

   Here is the top of that directory.

 Volume in drive C is DRIVE-C
 Volume Serial Number is 062F-1EEA

Directory of C:\Program Files\TimeSink\AdGateway

.              <DIR>        10-14-99 12:55p .
..             <DIR>        10-14-99 12:55p ..
TSADBOT  EXE        90,624  10-14-99 12:55p TSADBOT.EXE
PROFILES       <DIR>        10-14-99 12:55p Profiles
ADS            <DIR>        10-14-99 12:55p Ads
USERS          <DIR>        10-14-99 12:56p Users
         1 file(s)         90,624 bytes
 (started at boot time) which monitors the usage of software on the machine and
regularily POST's systems statistics to a Conducent website. This website then
returns information about which ad to display to the user. If you block access
to those monitoring IP addresses, the programs gets frantic and starts retrying
as fast as it can (10-20 /second) and then tries telnetting and several other
protocols.
  As far as I know, there is no poison in the returned data from monitoring
no scripts, no Java, and is coming from a Conducent supplied program, no one is
the wiser. What is does do is increase by Internet bandwith use by about 8% with
privacy breaches as bonus.

pgut001 () cs auckland ac nz (Peter Gutmann) on 99/11/05 23:48:00

Please respond to pgut001 () cs auckland ac nz (Peter Gutmann)