Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Different firewalls and Port usage

From: Siglite <siglite () criticalstop com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:01:05 -0500 (EST)

There's a nifty new toy out there called 'napster' that's used for
downloading/sharing MP3 files.  It uses a WIDE variety of ports, and kind
of like AOL IM it tries port after port after port until it finds one
that'll connect.  The default for it is 6699, but I've seen it use 6666 as
well.  This little toy is quite the bandwidth consumer.  I've seen users
peg t-1's for hours with it. (I've pegged t1's for hours with it being
sucked into a pseudo mp3 addiction).  I've requested a white paper from
the program's creators describing it's port usage and protocols, but as of
yet haven't gotten a response.

The good news is, the program doesn't work for inbound connections to
NAT'd client machines for (more or less) obvious reasons.  But NAT'd
clients can still connect to thousands of mp3 sharing computers out there
and download gigs of mp3's.

/*-----------------------------------*/
/* I live with FEAR every day.       */
/* But, sometimes, she lets me RACE. */

KT Morgan
Network Engineer
Checkpoint Firewall-1 CCSA/CCSE
Microsoft MCP
Software Systems Group, Inc

the compaq support website, crib notes version:
"you cant do that."