Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Cable modems and split DNS

From: "Wyatt, Anthony" <Anthony.Wyatt () its csiro au>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:05:05 +1100

Hi,
        Just my 2c worth about the ISP debate.  My ISP has a bunch of phone
numbers for differing users ie Block hour users use one number, traffic
based users use another.  So why not have a number for 'People who don't
care about security, but expect it', and 'those that really what to have it
all hanging out"...

        Anyway back to my question.  I want to set up my split brain DNS to
resolve from multiple internal hosts.  I'm running Solaris 2.6 on the
external view DNS server.  I saw on Marcus' website a paper
http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr/pubs/dns/index.htm where he suggests patching a
bunch of stuff and then being able to use the syntax:

domain v-one.com
nameserver "whumpus.v-one.com" 206.205.74.132
nameserver "74.205.206.in-addr.arpa" 206.205.74.132
nameserver "v-one.com" 198.69.135.6
nameserver "135.69.198.in-addr.arpa" 198.69.135.6
nameserver 127.0.0.1

        Which is what I want to do.  But how do I do it on my Solaris box?
Or has anyone else done anything similar and how?

Thanks,
Anthony