Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Free Firewalls - worth every penny?

From: "Cracknell, Phil" <phil.cracknell () nomura co uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:20:19 -0000

Guys,

I know the debate about 'build your own and understand it better' has been
done to death.....but I saw a recent posting by someone with a list of
firewalls and the GnatBox was in this list. I did some digging and found the
following info about a FREE firewall for what appears to be home users:

GB Light is a fully featured version of the GNAT Box firewall. It has a
limit on the number of IP addresses it supports. In default mode it
supports 2 on the protected and 2 on the DMZ. You can register with GTA in
the States to upgrade this to a 5 user licence. It has the benefit of PPP
support thus allowing a home user to use an old PC as a gateway, using a
single IP address, to the Internet. The PPP supports async modem/ISDN,
cable and adsl. Thus a small home home network of 5 machines can connect
with a single account. It provides full filtering, and Stateful Inspection
protection.

www.gnatbox.com