Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: WebTrends Alternative

From: "Saravana Ram" <Ram () POP Jaring My>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:18:50 +0800

I think the most difficult aspect of this would be the question 'how do you
automate moving the logs off of th box' be it windows NT, Solaris, Nokia, or
whatever platform checkpoint's currently running on.  Network transfer from
the
client-side implys some sort of listening service running on the firewall.
Bad.  I haven't looked into a viable cross-platform solution for this
firewall-side.  I've just continued to trudge through the logs with my perl
script and my sql server.

Instead of a logging device pulling the data from the FW box (which would
require a listening service on the FW), why don't you have the FW push logs to
a logging device (which would require a listening service on the logger not
the FW). Log data can be pushed in real time (continuously) or in batches
(poll at reasonable intervals).

If tossing log data around in the DMZ is considered too risky, then a serial
(as in RS-232) connection can be made from the FW to the logging device. This
pathway can't be hacked through unless the logging device is compromised.
Downside, the logging device and the FW have to be placed at the same site.