Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NT-based firewalls

From: "Bill Pennington" <bpennington () lucidnetworks com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:59:20 -0800

The only firewall I have worked with on the NT platform the Checkpoint
Firewall-1. It is a very capable firewall and widely used. I am guessing you
are trying to firewall a dial-up connection? I have not done this with FW-1
so I can not comment on how it would (or would not) work. Just remember with
any OS based firewall you must harden your OS before installing the
firewall.

As far as the linux modem problem you are having, I have had a great deal of
success with USR/3com Sportster Internal modems. Generally get a "name"
brand modem and you will be fine. Avoid Winmodems like the plague, they will
not work.

Bill Pennington
Consultant
Lucid NetworX