Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is this for real

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () cse ogi edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 18:10:35 +0000

Anton J Aylward wrote:

... or is it just part of the movement to put "e-" before
everything?  Somehow I'm not sure this makes sense.  I can't
see it being used, for example, to support electronic banking.
Or am I missing something?

http://www.whalecommunications.com/fr_0600.htm

This same product came up for discussion on the Linux Security Audit mailing
list about 2 weeks ago.  Summary:

   * It is not really an "air gap"
   * IMHO, "air gap" it is just a buzzy phrase for a proxy firewall

I have not actually evaluated the product, and have no idea how good a firewall
it is, but it is basically a proxy firewall.  Evaluate it as such.  Comment:
consider how much you can trust a vendor that gives a product an apparently
misleading name like "air gap".

The LSAP home page is here:   http://lsap.org/

Crispin
-----