Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN between PC and VPN server

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 10:45:35 -0400

Unfortunately  my organization has not been too good about security of home
machines so we don't allow VPN's from home just yet (we are about to try it).
We had an interesting incident a few weeks ago. I detected SNMP scans hitting
the firewall for a fairly sensistive subnet inside the firewall.It was blocked
by firewall of course but still worrisome.
 It was dialups coming from a large local ISP and they appeared 2 successive
evenings around the same time. I contacted abuse at ISP with IP numbers and
time. They said the 2 connections were same person and blocked that user from
access.
Next day I get a call from support about an executive having their home Internet
access being blocked.

It turned out that this executive had been given a machine to take home for
e-mail/wordprocessing at home that was originally used for network monitoring in
that sensitive segment. No one had formatted it before re-installing it and it
had a SNMP monitor program merrily following its schedule every night to gather
stats on the subnet.

Polciy is now that all machines be reformatted and re-installed before leaving
building. This has helped convince people about the weakness of indiscriminate
telework.

Adding a personal firewall would probably be no problem with any user if it were
done at companies expense since large scale licenses are fairly cheap. That and
virus scanning are probably easy to enforce since  users want them anyway.

Chad Schieken <Chad.Schieken () ins com> on 05/23/99 08:54:23 AM

Please respond to Chad Schieken <Chad.Schieken () ins com>