Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: dns outbound

From: "Matt McClung" <mmcclung () ndwcorp com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:55:33 -0600

So this implies a misconfiguration of a firewall in some cases...  One
argument would be that your firewall should only allow outgoing DNS traffic
from your internal DNS Server (ignoring the fact that it could be spoofed)
and I always advocate an internal HTTP/FTP/ETC proxy server and an associate
firewall ruleset to control outbound access.  I will acknowledge that this
won't cover all solutions, but it will suffice for a very large percentage
of incidents.

The tunneled virus is a very scary thing, and can't be far off!

Matt McClung
Network Security Consultant
Net.Works, Inc.
mmcclung () ndwcorp com