Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Attacks/scans through fax/modems ?

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:50:37 -0500

Pierre-Yves BONNETAIN wrote:

   One of my customers is currently using a modem-fax, connected to his W95
computer. The modem is _not_ used to connect to the Internet, but only to send
and receive faxes.
   Is there any way to get hold of the machine through such a link (for
example, call his fax number, and... whatever... to the effect that someone
outside may see his disk) ? Or any kind of such risks ?

Win95 has an add on which is a dial-in server. If this is loaded there
is a chance that someone could call the number and establish a PPP
connection.

If they do not have the dial-in server, you are probably in pretty good
shape. I'm not aware of any public exploits, but that does that someone
has not found one yet. Even still they would have to know this person's
fax number and know that there is a Win95 machine receiving on the other
end. Given all these factors the risk should be pretty minimal.

Cheers,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782120822/geekspeaknet
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782123430/geekspeaknet