Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: strange icmp packets.

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:57:08 -0800 (PST)

My guess is that somebody is doing an NMAP portscan against the victim
and is spoofing a number of IP addresses along with the scan in order
to hide where he is coming from. The victim is sending the
unreachables back to all the IP addresses that appear in the scan. One
of them is the attacker, and the rest are innocent bystanders such as
yourself.

I, too, would like to see the sniffer trace of these packets, because
they contain the IP/UDP-TCP headers, which will tell us a lot about
the attacker. For example, we could probably look at the IP
identification field and the sequence of port numbers to really see if
there is some kind of pattern.

Rob.

---Neil Ratzlaff <Neil.Ratzlaff () ucop edu> wrote:

I have gotten several icmp codes, most often type 3 (codes 0-3) and
type 11,
but  also type 12, 4, and 5.

Neil