Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Gauntlet: source code anyone ?

From: "McMahan, Peg" <PMcMahan () v-one com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:45:05 -0500

My guess would be that very very few people report these types of bugs.
Working at a gauntlet reseller and having worked in the training department
here (thank gods I don't do *THAT* anymore) I got a good chance to see what
John.Q.FirewallAdmin is like... I shouldn't generalise, but the majority of
people who came for training on the unix products we sold (including
gauntlet) had never sat in front of a unix box before. Had to talk them
through commands letter by letter... Many wouldn't have any concept of what
source code was, much less understand or recognise a 'buffer overflow'.

Good firewall admins are (quite unfortunately) the exception.

Also, having been part of a support organisation, we have no records of
anyone ever asking us for product source code. In as much as I've dealt with
end-users, I've never even been asked about the 'security' of the firewall.
People assume that since it's a firewall, it's immune to attack entirely.