Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Ports 80, 111

From: "Steve" <swaterman () inetllc com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:52:16 -0500

I'm having trouble preventing some services from running - I'm running
Caldera 1.3 (kernel 2.0.36) with ipfwadm.

Now for the problems:

Netstat -an | grep LISTEN, and well as nmap, shows RPC listening on port
111.  I would prefer not to even run this, but Cron complained of not being
able to make connections when I disabled it.  What is the best way to stop
this: with a packet filter denying traffic on port 111 outbound?  Or do I
even need to run it?

And my second problem:  An nmap scan show port 80 active and open, though
Apache is not running; however, netstat -an | grp LISTEN does not show it to
be listening.  I cannot figure out for the life of my where this is coming
from!  If I connect to my system through a web browser, it simply says the
services aren't available, so it's not dishing up any services.  It's just
sitting there, acting as though it's waiting for someone to connect.

I am not running *any* Internet services on this, and don't want anything
listening, but don't know where to go, especially on port 80!  It is simply
my router/firewall . . .

I'm at a loss!!!

Steve