Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS for Internet VPN

From: Misha <misha () insync net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:38:47 -0500 (CDT)

We have been using IOS based IPSec for several months now and it seems to
work great. One of the first products that deployed IPSec was the 1720 and
had some problems, which took several months to shake out, but since then
it has been very stable. IOS actually allows you to be more flexible with
your crypto maps than most other IPSec devices I have seen, if you are
comfortable with building access lists. Thinking of what will be involved
in managing 10 or more sites, I am getting a little worried.

If you are going to run IPSec on your existing router you will have to
make sure they have enough hardware to handle the load. The 1720 does
about 512k with DES, but the older 2501's we had could barely squeeze out
128k. In any case, you will likely need a memory upgrade. If you need to
encrypt more traffic than the 1720 can handle, you should look at the 7120
and 7140 units (I woudl have to double check the models), which should be
able to handle up to 90 megabits (some day, when the additional hardware
for them comes out). If you want to use certificates, it may require some
legwork. I know support for Entrust and Verisign is provided, but I have
not seen anyone do it yet, and the details are very shifty.

If you needed a dedicated VPN appliance, I would probably go with Red
Creek though.

Misha