Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Offensive Material(??) with Firewall

From: "Tim Kramer" <tkramer () irt net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:45:02 +0000

I agree.  It's amazing what a public hanging (of a career)
will do to your employees' surfing profile.

I currently manage firewalls for two organizations.  One has
a written policy which everyone reads and signs.  The other
apparently doesn't.  Both have had incidents where someone
spends most of the workday surfing "inappropriate"sites.
 Guess which site has only had one incident in the last year?

"Marcus J. Ranum" wrote:

<snip>

BIn the last few years I've been asked probably 200 times
"how can we block offensive content with our firewall?"
My preferred response these days is "when was the last time
your organization terminated or disciplined someone for
accessing offensive content?" If the answer is "never"
then don't even _bother_ trying the technological route.

<snip>