Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall-Wizards Digest V1 #316

From: jak0npc () jak10 med navy mil (Campi, Nathan P.)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:58:22 -0400

David,
According to Paul "Rusty" Russell (sorry Rusty if I don't get the quote
quite right) there are two types of people when it comes to security:
Those who have 5 minutes to devote to it, and those who use packet
filters, network based intrusion detection, host based intrusion
detection, cryptographic integrity checking, application level proxies,
and kernel hacks to secure their boxes (that was his point, at least).
Hence "Rusty's Three-Line Guide To Masquerading".
see http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1 for
Rusty's 3 line guide

If you just want to set up the firewall, like you said in your post, you
get a linux gateway box with packet filtering enabled and use the Mason
tool to automatically set up your firewall filtering rules. You now have
a firewall. Whether or not you are done is up to you.

If you want to understand the firewall, and get some satisfaction from
designing and building your own from the ground up  you need to see the
books that Mr. Chuck Yerkes mentioned below, and start researching on
the net.
Many of the pioneers in the field (Ranum, Bellovin, Cheswick, etc.)
posted their white papers and tutorials on the net. I've been trying to
gather as many of these together as I can, in order to help me with my
research, but I'd be glad to share my work with you.
Check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4805/links.html

I haven't been at it too long, and the list just keeps getting bigger
and bigger.
I think that it will be a good starting place for you, and tell me if
you find anything you want me to add.