Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Is there digital certificate equivalent for FTP

From: Matthew_S_Cramer () armstrong com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:35:06 -0400

clung () hotmail com wrote:

Even though our FTP server is placed in a DMZ, we are exploring the
possibility to install something like digital certificate services and SSL
for SHTTP for FTP.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ssh supports using RSA keys for authentication, and ssh includes two ways to
copy files - sftp and scp.  scp may be depreciated now that 1.2.27 supports
sftp.  We force our web developers to use scp with RSA auth to transfer files to
a web/ftp server rather than just allowing normal ftp.

Matt