Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PPTP performance

From: "Ryan Russell" <Ryan.Russell () sybase com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:54:02 -0700

Do you think Windows NT and PPTP is a good solution as VPN?

*I* don't.  My main complaint now is that it uses the user password
to generate session keys, meaning that the encryption, even
the "128-bit" version is only as good as the user password.  IIRC,
most passwords are good for about 4 or 5 bits of entropy, meaning
at least 26-character passwords..  and you can only use 14 characters.

Were you asking about some aspect besides security?

If yes,how to
improve the performance?

I've heard there are problems if Path MTU discovery gets blocked.

If PPTP can be used to LAN-LAN connection? Any advice
is appreciated greatly.

Like a WAN replacement?  Or across a LAN?  In either case, yes,
people have gotten it to work (not me, haven't tried.)

You might also check:

http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn.html

                    Ryan