Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN with NAT

From: Ben Nagy <bnagy () cpms com au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:50:02 +0930

If you want to connect to something across the Internet, the thing you're
connecting to must have a legal IP address. End of story.

PPTP works fine through NAT on Cisco routers for me. The only caveat is that
you probably need to have a "complete" IP translation, not port based. This
is because the GRE traffic needs to make it to the destination internal host
somehow, and I don't know of anything that allows you to make translations
based on non tcp / udp protocols.

Once you're connected to the PPTP session, you'll get given a new IP address
in the internal range of whatever you connected to.

Cheers,

--
Ben Nagy
Network Consultant, CPM&S Group of Companies