Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:Using VLAN's in Firewall topologies

From: "Dallas N Bishoff"<Dallas.N.Bishoff () faa gov>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:35:39 -0500

Paul:

This can be done properly, and securing with the appropriate amount of training,
talent and policy management.  In fact, if you read Chapter 4: Firewall Design,
from "Building Internet Firewalls", you'll find the guidelines for how this is
done,and what not to do.

Basically, the hosts reside in a virtual DMZ that is defined by the subnet.  So,
you're customers can have access to their systems, which can reside in their
business areas.  One of the things that you really have to watch out for, and
you have to ensure adherence, the host owners cannot setup a system in the DMZ
that is dual-homed -- public NIC and private NIC, and definately not with IP
forwarding across the NICs.

Regards!!!

Dallas N. Bishoff
MCSE, MCT, CCSE, ICE