Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: lucent managed firewalls

From: David Millier <dmillier () teleias com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:32:32 -0400

We currently have 6 of these firewalls in operation.  They have just
released a new version, which addresses A LOT of the failings of earlier
versions of this product.  The throughput is impressive on the boxes, and
the VPN is very sound.  Overall, the administration is actually well-defined
and easy to use, this is a product that should come into its own over the
next little while.

To answer your questions:

Neil Lehrer wrote:

hi,

i am soliciting opinions on the lucent managed firewall from people who
have used it and are nice enough to comment.

do you like it?

After taking Lucent training and working extensively with the product, yes
overall I'm satisfied with it.

is it technically sound?

Very sound product.  Rock-solid performance, and the latest rev. seems even
faster.  Only drawback I see anywhere is a java-based GUI (I'm not a big
java fan, personally).

performance?

Rock-solid performance.  Fast and very easy to create/modify rules.

administration?

Once you get the hang of "zones" vs. dealing with interfaces on most
firewalls, it becomes very easy and intuitive to administer.

tech support?

Now here's an area they need MAJOR improvement on.  That being said, they've
created a new group recently to deal solely with supporting their
firewall/VPN products (the LMF and LVG) and the guys there seem to be pretty
knowledgeable.

anything else you'd care to comment on.

Doesn't support native application proxies, you have to redirect or
"reflect" them to another server to do any type of proxying.  Also, you
can't create rules based on time-of-day or day-of-week.  Other than that,
not a bad product to work with, and I've worked with quite a few of them
(Check Point, PIX, Raptor, Gauntlet, etc.).  On the VPN side, they've
improved the workings of both their LAN-to-LAN and Client-to-LAN
dramatically with this version, setting either up is now a breeze, and the
performance looks promising so far!

Let me know if you'd like more info, or have specific questions!

Regards,

Dave Millier
Security Consultant
Teleias Inc.
TIA

--

regards

+ Neil Lehrer
+
+ International Broadcasting Bureau
+ System Development Division
+
+ voice    202 619-2524
+ fax      202 619-3576
+ nlehrer () ibb gov
+
+ " is this crisis an opportunity or just
+   another grab the fire extinguisher moment?"
+