Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The devil's in the details

From: Technical Incursion Countermeasures <lists () ticm com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:03:24

Has anyone figured out a good way to set something like this up? Ideally,
some switch manufacturer would have thought of this ahead of time, and made
a port on the switch that dumped all the packets, but then you're dealing
with packet loss unless that one port is significantly faster than the rest
of the switch. I could try to figure out some policy based configuration,
but I don't want to go buy a gigabit plane for each of my switches, and it
doesn't sit right with me to depend on the switch management elements for
the completeness of my security data.

Hi Matt...

yep its not an easy one... but most good switches should have a port that
can be set to promiscuous mode - it should be able to keep up - YMMV..

On the other hand you might want to look at the underlying corporate
culture if there is a high risk of internal attacks... are the previous
incidents to justify the costs? Risk Analysis is always a very good tool
here..

good luck!

Cheers,

Bret

Technical Incursion Countermeasures
consulting () TICM COM                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(041) 4411 149(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9454 6042

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security Call for papers Vol 3 Issue 2
http://www.ticm.com/info/insider/index.html