Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Scanner and Firewall?

From: John Nanas <JohnN () review com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:14:59 -0400

Hi all-

Sorry for the simple question, but I'm still relatively new at this, and all
the reading I could do didn't fully answer my question.

I'm designing a new network which my company will be co-locating offsite.
I've spec'd out all the good stuff, including a FW-1 box to protect the
network, but find myself facing this question - do I need scanning software
in addition to the firewall?  I know that FW-1 has pretty comprehensive
software (much more than I've taught myself to use, thus far) with all the
logging, but do I gain something by adding another scanner to the firewall
box?

Also, does anyone know if there's a book that's accepted as the bible of
network security (or Internet security)?  I've seen a few texts, but some of
what I've seen thus far are only applicable to Unix networks (which, I have
the unfortunate position of being in an all NT shop) or are somewhat
outdated..

Thanks for any help,
John Nanas
Network Systems Engineer