Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IDS collection in the DMZ, or in the dirty segment?

From: "John Kozubik" <john_kozubik_dc () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:35:07 PST

I have yet to read someone post the idea that you CAN install more
than one
IDS in your network.
I have yet to see any hard case for not putting and IDS in the DMZ,
Service
Network, Extranet or Internal network.  The biggest drawback to this
is
capital.

Very well said.  In the same way that multile firewall configurations
can be used, in parallel or serially, multiple IDS can also be used -
especially when using chinese walls between business units in the same
business firm.

I didn't really bring it up because of the questions being fielded
concerning the legitimacy of using even one IDS ... this is a very valid
solution in many cases - all theoretical for me, though, as I have never
set up more than one IDS on a network (would be an interesting project,
though)

kozubik - John Kozubik - john_kozubik () hotmail com
PGP DSS: 0EB8 4D07 D4D5 0C28 63FE  AD87 520F 57BE 850B E4C4