Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: 192.168.x.y ... ?

From: Vik Bajaj <vbajaj () sas upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:09:56 -0500 (EST)

On 27-Jan-99 David Gillett wrote:
  One of the firewalls I administer is rejecting (and logging) about 0-
3 ICMPs a day from a couple of these IP addresses.  As I understand it,
these machines have to be inboard of the next router, but that's not
quite enough of a clue to locate them.  Is there any other tool I can
use to try and find these machines?

Assuming a correct configuration, addresses in that range shouldn't propagate.
It is probably a host misconfiguration, unless you are using a
masquerading/proxy set-up to obscure an internal 192.168.1.0/24 network.
Not sure why you are seeing only ICMP traffic.

--Vik