Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

H.323

From: "Joseph Pung" <pungjos () aquinas edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:20:27 -0500

Hi,

I am interested in obtaining "lessons learned" from those of you who may
 have implemented H.323 (especially if you used NetMeeting).  Specifically, I
am interested in the following:

1. Does your firewall support H.323 via an application proxy?
2. If so, WRT "dynamic port allocation", how exactly does your firewall
     handle the process?
3.  What type of firewall do you have (circuit, stateful filtering, etc)?
4.  Any security issues?  Note, H.323 v2 has enhanced security to include
     authentication, integrity, privacy, and non-repudiation, although we may
     be using NetMeeting... In reviewing last year's thread (Jun-Sep), I saw a
    concern about the "shared application execution facility enabling remote
    users to execute unintended program on other participant's workstations"
    but I never really saw anything specific.
5.  Any performance issues (relative to the amount of bandwidth made available
     for H.323)?
6.  What would you have done differently? 7.  What did you do that
    you were glad you did?

I will post a summary to the list, so if you reply off-line I will not use your
name, unless you specifically grant me permission.

Thanks,

Joe