Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: analyzing firewall logs in a database

From: "Matt McClung" <mmcclung () ndwcorp com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:35:29 -0700

I have used a program call XaCCT which takes a firewall log file and
simultaneously enters the data to a SQL or Oracle db.  The program has a gui
interface that lets you build queries on the dataset which is realy nice.
Also, the program has a report generator and scheduler that allows you to
set a report to be generated at a given time.  I have the scheduler send me
a daily report (done nightly ) about traffic statistics, etc.  VERY NICE.

The only downfall is the cost.  The application was expensive and required
significant hardware for the DB Server and mgt workstation.

Matt McClung, CCSA/CCSE
Net.Works Security Engineer
mmcclung () ndwcorp com