Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Zinjan & russian new years virus

From: David Harley <harley () icrf icnet uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:30:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 Kenneth_W_Fox () sbphrd com wrote:

Has anybod heard of a company called (or sounds like) zinjan that has a

Isn't that Finjan? Sorry, I'm not acquainted with the product.

firewall *anti virus* program. Someone higher up heard about this and wants
us to investigate. I didn't have any luck searching Yahoo for it.

* Russian New Year is, to coin a phrase, not a virus. It's a security hole
  in Excel. See www.datafellows.com.
* A number of firewall products include some sort of anti-virus
  functionality, or can use an AV plug-in: FW1, for example.
  This may be a viable supplement to scanning on the desktop if
  your network can take the load, but it's not a complete substitute
  for desktop scanning.
* There are also products (sometimes called viruswalls) which do
  some form of gateway virus scanning, often combined with other
  forms of content filtering. These work particularly well with
  e-mail where the latency problem may not be so critical, but
  again, should not be mistaken for a complete solution.

--
David Harley                  |                   alt.comp.virus FAQ
D.Harley () icrf icnet uk        |      http://webworlds.co.uk/dharley/