Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sliding/Shifting/Morphing firewalls

From: montenegro () nutec com br
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:01:41 -0300

Hi!

If you already have the receiving end´s firewall to agree with you to
"dance" (either by port hopping or obfuscating traffic), why not just
"agree" on a firewall-to-firewall VPN and be done with it?

As for shifiting port numbers, that is quite interesting. The only concern
is that if the firewall runs a proxy for a service that uses high port
source numbers (I don't know of any off the top of my head, but there is
bound to be one out there...) you have to start paying attention to your
range selection for possible port numbers.

Cheers,
Fernando
--
Fernando da Silveira Montenegro     Nutec Servicos Corporativos
System/Network Consultant           Rua Florida, 1821/11th floor

Please respond to "Stephen P. Berry" <spb () meshuga incyte com>