Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:

From: "jsg" <jgerrits () enteract com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 23:08:54 -0600

Joel,

----- Original Message -----
From: Joel Snider <joel_snider () yahoo com>
To: <firewall-wizards () nfr net>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 7:38 AM

I have been using a Checkpoint Firewall-1 to protect
my DMZ from the Internet.  Since installation I have
noticed that my webservers which are on the DMZ behind
the firewall seem to be connecting to multitudes of
Internet host unsolicited.

Are you sure that the firewall is connecting to these hosts and not the
hosts connecting through your firewall?  If anything the firewall should be
protecting your DMZ.

The destination port seems
to be random, but often increments.  The source port
from web servers is always 80 or 443.

These ports that you listed are http (80) and https (443).

 As I have added webservers this condition has gotten unbearable
because of the massive amount of info in the log
files.  I do not allow unlimited access from the DMZ
to the Internet so these packets are getting dropped
at the firewall. I have checked with the web
developement team and they say that they are not doing
anything with the servers that would cause this.  I
know that I could filter out these events and not log
them, but I want to understand what is happening first
and look for other alternatives.  Please let me know
if you have seen this before.

In regards to packets being dropped from the DMZ to the Firewall I would
recommend to only allow HTTP, and HTTPS out from the DMZ.  Then if nbt is
source of the drops create rule and drop without logging.  NBT is used for
name resolution.

Good Luck,
JSG

Thanks...