Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: password mgmt

From: "Ogrodnek, Larry" <Larry.Ogrodnek () dowjones com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:08:56 -0500

1999-11-29-05:23:30 John Kirby:
Has anyone used a PalmPilot for keeping track of assorted >passwords?

Haven't tried it yet, but I recently picked up GNU Keyring>[1] (as
advertised
on Freshmeat:-), and it looks like it's very specifically >designed for
this
job.

isn't all this a little too much of all the eggs in one
basket?  What's the use of having a different password
for each machine that's so hard to guess that you have to
write it down when after all that you are just storing them
all encrypted by a single password?  There doesn't seem
to be too much difference between that and actually using the same password
on every machine.

storing it on a PalmPilot doesn't seem so bad since
someone would have to physically take it from you in
order to try and get your passwords...

but now that application is going to sync to your desktop
machine.  Sure, it's encrypted, but I only have to guess
one password correctly to gain access to every system
you have access to.

-l