Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX sux? (know Stateful vs Application)

From: "Dom De Vitto" <dom () devitto com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:47:11 -0000

Interesting point Shaun, mybe this has something to do with the
first 'firewalls' being commercial products (any comments Marcus?).

I think alot of the problems the opensource crew have had have been
related to the fact that the goalposts are moving too fast (Linux for
one has different kernal firewalling in v2.0, v2.2 and v2.3 !)

I was suprised and downhearted when I found out that stateful inspection
wasn't available in (v2.2) ipchains.  SI is available in IPFilters,
but they only work with the v2.0 kernel.  The new firewalling in the
v2.3 kernel is a rewrite of the IPchains (with the main author admitting
that a lot of lessons have been learnt).

Though all these variants have backwards-compatible interface commands,
these are lacking and aren't 100%.

I *do* think that opensource firewalling will 'catch up', it really
only a matter of combining the bits we already have.  The only thing
that *is* missing is a wonder-GUI that gives you everying you need
(app proxy setup and log viewing inclusive) in one blob - without exposing
the user to the details of the commands required to setup FTP to a FTP server,
traceroute, etc.

Here's hoping...
Dom
Dom De Vitto
Secure Technologies Ltd.                           Mob. 07971 589 201
mailto:dom () devitto com                             Tel. 01202 738 767
http://www.devitto.com                             Fax. 08700 548 750