Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RSAREF bug issues (was Re: Looking for "lease based popper access")

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:10:45 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Bennett Todd wrote:

1999-12-13-12:50:43 R. DuFresne:
Has there been a patch released by the RSA folks to deal with it's recent
failing?  The impact of the RSA buffer overflow is that it affects all
applications built around it's core, this includes ssh, ssl enabled
webservers, etc..  Yep all those aplications built with RSA are now
exploitable, so, has a pacht been released that addresses this and allows
folks to patch RSAREF then rebuild all the applications that use it?

I think this note deserves a few comments.

First off, yes, there has been a patch posted, the OpenBSD folks at least have
released a patch, and maybe other folks have too I don't know, and the RSADSI
folks have officially given permission to use this patch. RSADSI didn't
release a patch themselves; they aren't programmers, they're just lawyers
doing their day job of trying to prevent people from using good encryption.

Second, the bug in question only affects the RSAREF code if it can be invoked
in a hostile fashion; sufficient parm checking in the caller can protect this
bug against a remote exploit. So independantly the OpenSSH folks had fixed
their sshd so that this bug didn't end up producing an exploit for them.

Additionally clarifying what I think I now understand here:

Means this is at least partially dependant upon the under<over?>lying
application.  The ssh1 exploit is a two in one punch, though broken
code...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!